The Division of Risk Management and Planning mainly has the following competence:
- To conduct studies and make recommendations on the establishment of food safety policies, plans and goals;
- To enforce the laws and regulations related to food safety, adopt prevention and control measures, initiate prosecution procedures and compile dossiers for any administrative infractions defined by the relevant laws and regulations, except for those cases which are clearly taking in charge by other public departments or the subsidiary units of the Municipal Affairs Bureau;
- To execute the policies and decisions related to food safety incidents;
- To conduct inspection for monitoring food safety;
- To keep surveillance of food products circulating in the market, especially conducting on-site supervision over locations or establishments of food production and operation;
- To investigate and handle complaints and incidents about food safety.
The Division of Risk Assessment mainly has the following competence:
- To gather food safety information;
- To conduct risk assessments and studies regarding food safety;
- To provide scientific basis and suggestions for food safety risk management;
- To evaluate the risk level of food safety incidents impacted on the public, and offer advice with scientific basis;
- To establish and publish food safety guidelines;
- To propose food safety standards.
The Division of Risk Communication mainly has the following competence:
- To be responsible for connecting with international or regional food safety organisations;
- To be responsible for the communication and connection among the food industry and the public;
- To release food safety information;
- To announce food safety alerts;
- To organise information exchange activities, such as expert conferences and seminars on food safety;
- To be responsible for the training, publicity and education, exhibitions and promotional events of food safety;
- To respond to public enquiries about food safety.
The Division of Food Inspection mainly has the following competence:
- To perform the quality control of fresh, live, chilled or frozen perishable products of animal and plant origins, as well as non-bottled beverages intended for public consumption that are produced in or imported into the Macao Special Administrative Region through veterinary examination and other inspection methods;
- 2) To be responsible for licensing and supervision of establishments engaged in the retail of meat, fish, poultry and vegetables;
- To conduct sanitary inspections of the sites, where food animals are slaughtered or kept for public consumption, and the vehicles to transport such animals;
- To supervise the operation of slaughterhouses and wholesale markets, and conduct hygiene inspection of meat, its by-products and offal.